Old July 14th 06, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

Default my baby refuses to eat solids

In article ,
(Catherine Woodgold) wrote:

Breastmilk has all the necessary nutrients. People claim
it doesn't have enough iron, but actually newborns don't
need much if any iron -- they're born with too much to
start with -- and the amount of iron in mother's milk
increases as the months pass and the baby/toddler needs
more. Also the iron in bm is quickly absorbed.

Vitamin D can come from sunlight.

I think you may be being a bit free-and-easy about this. BM has the necessary
nutrients up to at least 6 months, possibly to a year, we think (*). It does
not contain adequate iron, but this is compensated for by the baby's iron
stores, which deplete some time after 6mo. And yes, the iron in BM is easily
assimilable, but at a year, the baby will almost certainly require more iron
than is available from his own stores or fom BM.

I suspect the OP's child doesn't really have a problem with solids: it is
more that he doesn't like/handle purees, and wants finger food instead. Both
my children were like this.

(*) It is amazing how little is known about BM nutrients. We can't say that
it is proven that BM has all the necessary nutrients, because quite a lot of
them have never been studied!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue