Old April 13th 04, 07:30 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Calcium needs for breastfeeding?

i'm not a nurse yet, but here's my opinion...any vitamin supplement you take
is going to absorb over time, and not all of it will absorb...i do know that
the 10-1500mg dose suggested (and quoted by the clerk) is that for a healthy
adult, not a lactating female...this link might help you some...
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~iishp/Nelson.html or this one
http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/handout...nanlactat.html

Thanks for the URLs. They were useful. My only gripe is that the
second one mentioned increasted osteoporosis if inadequate calcium is
consumed during lactation. I believe that new studies show that
osteoporosis risk is pretty low- that yes, bones are decalcified
during lactation, but that the bones remineralize very quickly after
lactation is ended.

i can understand where you and the doctor think that your wrist may have
been a consequence of leached calcium, and i do know that some practitioners
recommend raising calcium intake while healing from a broken bone; so your
practitioner may be factoring in what he believes you need to heal your
wrist, restore and maintain your calcium stores so you don't set yourself up
for osteoporosis later...i think someone mentioned a magnesium supplement
earlier-magnesium does help in vitamin absorption, but they're not entirely
certain how useful it is for calcium....i know vitamin d is linked with
calcium absorption somehow, but i can't remember how that works this late at
night...

Well, I'm now taking 1500 mg of supplement daily... one huge pill when
I get up, one at lunchtime, and one before bed. Huge amount, plus
normal dietary sources. I think that'll have to do!

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01