Old July 11th 06, 05:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default We have reached 1 year!

Jeni wrote:
Thanks for this. I was going to post on the very same thing when I
remembered. At present we have discovered he will sip cows milk the
same way as he sips water, but so far won't have it as a replacement
for his bottle. We did try it briefly at the weekend but we didn't know
till the evening how bad he was feeling so realise now it was a bad
time to try. The problem is that he still has between 4 and 8 oz twice
a day so getting through a sippy cup of that much would take forever
and he'd get very frustrated.

I'm not sure what the answer is, only that I agree it would be better
to ditch the bottles. Any ideas on how to do (this bearing in mind the
nursery have limited time and people to take it too slow) would be very
welcome. In the meantime we will have another go at the bottle so at
least he is on the way to transitioning from formula.

actually I never stated my personal preference, which would be to never give
cows milk in a bottle, it's semi irrational, based on the fact that at least
formula is designed for bottles, but then as it seems to be the speech
reason that leads the reasons for getting of bottles it probably doesn't
matter what is actually in it.

I think if was me I would have them give one of the feeds from a sippy (no
valve - just as bad for speech apparently), the one when he is most awake
and the other stick with a bottle, then go to all cup, which would hopefully
happen in 2 weeks to a month, then transition to cows milk, if necessary by
doing 10% 90% and working the amount of formula down over another two weeks
to a month.

Cheers

Anne