Old February 6th 04, 03:03 AM
toypup

Default "Cold turkey" weaning

"Smart Lady" wrote in message
om...
The mother will be feeling the effects of this cold turkey thing
pretty quickly too you know... I don't want to be in her shoes in the
next few days when she develops one nasty breast infection!

Don't get me wrong, that baby is suffering both physically and
emotionally! There will be reprecutions for years on this one...

I don't agree with cold turkey weaning because it's so cruel to a child who
couldn't possibly understand what's going on. OTOH, I don't think the one
incident will cause longlasting emotional trauma. What will cause
everlasting trauma is the parenting philosophy behind it and the precedence
it sets for future parenting decisions. I believe how we treat our babies
will often be reflected in a lifelong pattern of parenting. If a mother
doesn't respect her child's emotions as an infant, they often don't respect
their child's emotions as a teen or an adult. That is only my experience,
but it seems to bear true.