Old July 1st 03, 01:41 AM
Marion Baumgarten

Default Parentless characters (was Harry Potter)

Elizabeth Gardner wrote:

This is where it would help if you'd actually read the books. There's a
very clear delineation in HP, as in Narnia, between good magic and bad
magic. If you doubt good magic in Narnia, consider the chapter in the
first book titled "Deeper Magic from Before the Dawn of Time" and the
magical properties of the gifts given to the children by Santa Claus, as
well as the apple in "The Magician's Nephew" whose tree confers
protective properties against the bad magic of the White Witch, just to
name a couple of instances. In the latter case, the magic of the apple
was only good if it was used for unselfish purposes; it became perverted
into evil if someone tried to use it for himself.

I do think a major difference between the books is that most (not all of
Narnia) is set in another workd, not our world and many of the
charcteres are not human. It may seem minor, but from a theological
point of view, I can see where it makes a difference. Harry Potter s set
in our world and it' snot really clear whther magicains are human or
not. Having said that, as a Christian, I find nothing offensive about
them.