Old July 10th 03, 10:00 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Parentless characters (was Harry Potter)

In article ,
David desJardins wrote:

Personally, I tried reading Harry Potter, but I thought it was just
awful. And the whole concept of the books puts me off. How many pages,
exactly, should I have to read before forming such an opinion?

There's a difference between not liking a book, and being opposed to it.
I'm surprised that you found it "just awful" but apparently it isn't
your ball of wax. My children's school requests that they give a book
2 chapters before proclaiming they don't like it. I suspect you've met
that requirement. So, you don't like it.

That's different from being opposed to it, as some people are, feeling
that their own kids, or in some cases no one's kids, should be allowed
to read it. That goes way beyond not enjoying it. And I don't think I
would ever take such a stand over a book without reading enough of it to
make a first-hand determination of the objectionable elements myself.
How many pages that will be varies depending on the nature of the
objections. For some things, I suppose just finding a few objectionable
passages would suffice. For things relating to the theme or message of
the book, however, I would think I'd need to read the whole thing to get
a fair picture.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)