Old November 28th 06, 02:16 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Penny Gaines

Default fidgety kids

Chris wrote:
Just had our parent teacher conference for our 6th grade son. The
story is pretty much the same as every year--bright kid but he can't
sit still in class. Of course each year teachers are less tolerant of
his fidgeting, twirling the eraser, pencil tapping, etc. But, like
each year, the teachers seem unable to come up with any concrete
strategies for dealing with the issue. The kid is bored, everyone
agrees, but the level of fidgetiness seems beyond that which can be
explained by boredom alone. He doesn't sit still often--he eats
standing up most meals, he plays video games jumping up and down, etc.
So, the question becomes what to do in school? Has anyone dealt
successfully with this problem?

How much physical exercise does he do? And what's his diet like?

I've noticed that boys that age get very fidgety if their diet
has too much high GI foods (basically sugary food) or if they
hadn't been physically active.

The physical activity doesn't have to be formal exercise programs, just
walking from the school bus seems to help.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three