Old July 30th 07, 10:33 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

Default Miami-Dade, FL Police say man abused two foster kids

On Jul 30, 3:01 am, fx wrote:
Police say man abused two foster kids
Miami-Dade police arrested a man they say abused two girls; the home
continued to operate after the first victim came forward.
BY CAROL MARBIN MILLER

http://www.miamiherald.com/569/story/185302.html

When a 10-year-old foster child complained to state child-abuse
investigators in November that her foster mother's boyfriend had
molested her, caseworkers removed her from the home.

But the foster home remained open, and a month after the molestation
report was received, child welfare administrators renewed the home's
license.

Now, police say, there is a new victim.

On Wednesday, acting on a report from the Department of Children &
Families, Miami-Dade police arrested Ian Garrick, 42, on charges he
molested the now-11-year-old in 2006 -- and raped another girl, 8, in
April. Garrick is being held at the Miami-Dade County jail without bond.

Al Zimmerman, DCF's Tallahassee spokesman, said the agency is still
looking into how the case was handled, but state confidentiality laws
forbid him from discussing the details.

Said Thomas G. Franklin, a DCF administrator in Miami: ``This is a
tragic situation, and we continue to do all that we can to assist law
enforcement. Children in the state's dependency system are often already
victims of very sad, very traumatic situations, and to learn a child has
been revictimized is heart-wrenching.

``When we learned that one of the children in our care may have been
assaulted, we acted quickly. When our investigation resulted in verified
findings, we immediately contacted the police.''

WRONG!!!

When an allegation of molest of a child in FC is made to DCF they
should IMMEDIATELY notify the police. And the investigations can run
concurrently.