Old September 26th 03, 01:25 PM
Linz

Default Tough decision - Elective C or not ?

"paul williams" wrote in message
om...
Wifes now 36 weeks but baby is measuring up to 40 weeks already so it
looks very large.

What do they mean by "measuring up to 40 weeks"? Some 40 week babies are
7lbs, others are 10lbs!

Consultant has given us the choice :-

1. Elective C-section at 39 weeks.
2. Induce at 40 weeks.

Option 1 seems OK but consultant highlighted the risks involved with
any C-section.

And runs the risk that baby isn't actually 'cooked' at that stage.

Option 2 seems better if natural birth is possible. However, theres a
higher risk of emergency C-section which is obviously worse.

Are there any stats on how many Elective C-sections have problems ?

What about stats on how many large babies get forced down the
emergency C anyway? What about the extra risks of an emergency C
compared to an elective?

Are they actually saying baby is big? How big are they thinking? How
have they been measuring? Are they sure it's not that there's a lot of
fluid?

Also, my wifes decided on an epidural anyway in the event of normal
birth. Does'nt this provide problems with larger babies anyway? I'e'
forceps or ventouse delivery? Not what we want either....

I think that one of the important things to look at isn't necessarily
size of the baby, but size of the head. A big baby is going to have lots
of squishy fat which shouldn't cause too many problems. A big head, on
the other hand, my be harder to birth.

Your consultant has obviously been willing so far to discuss pros and
cons, ask for more information if you can, in order to make your
decision an informed one.

And good luck with the birth, whatever your wife and you choose!