Old September 19th 06, 04:10 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I COMPLETELY agree with you about everything.
I'm not squeamish about the issue at all, and I know that feeding
your child is what breasts are really for...

But I also know it might be rather difficult to explain that to a 13 yo
boy.

I think you are underestimating them, truly.

I certainly want them to know, understand, realize the intended
purpose for breasts and set a good example but I guess I'm just
afraid because of their age and they're not *my* children.
Unfortunately, society does set a "standard" and "boobs" are a
funny thing that little boys talk about. If they were a bit younger, or
mine, I would have no issue with it. To be honest, I don't really
have any issue with it, I was just wondering how others in the step-mom
role may have dealt with/approached it with their stepchildren.

Then, of course, I've got to really get my husband on the "same
page" with me so that he can enforce the normalcy that is
breastfeeding and not contribute to the phobia.

Absolutely. That will be key. But truly, I think
you will find that this is no nearly as big a deal as you
imagine. If you need some resources explaining why
breastfeeding is a good idea, this might help:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...feed/8910.html
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p124.html
http://www.hbns.org/getDocument.cfm?documentID=1300
http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/35498/router.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breastfeeding#Benefits

I'm sure there are many more--that's just a quick search.

Also, given that you are hoping to breastfeed
in what may be a less than ideally supportive situation,
you should probably take extra care to become as
educated as you can. There are so very many misconceptions
about breastfeeding, and they lead many women to incorrectly
believe that they're not producing enough milk or even to
take actions that sabotage the success of breastfeeding.
Sadly, all too many people in healthcare are also
underinformed about breastfeeding, so you can't always
count on them to give you accurate information. Having
good information and finding some friends who have
successfully breastfed (and hanging around on
m.k.b and m.k.p) will give you a much better likelihood
of success.

Best wishes,
Ericka