Old February 10th 06, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Have milk, but it won't drain

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
Anyone encountered this problem: the breasts are filling up, I can feel
the ants crawling along the side, the baby has been latching on
perfectly (per lactation consultant), yet not a drop of anything is
coming out, and I've had to start feeding her formula. She's four days
old.

I've just rented a breast pump for the week and the first 15 minute
session yielded nothing whatsoever. I worry about overstimulating the
production if the milk has nowhere to go. My breasts are already
getting very full and painful.

I'm not sure, but I think the act of withdrawing milk is what
stimulates
production. Besides, like Nikki said, if you really can't get the milk
out you are going to be miserable (I am so sorry), regardless.
So, I don't think you have anything to loose by trying to pump
and continuing to latch your baby on. If your milk hasn't
come in quite yet (4 days is not unusual), pumping may not
yeild anything. Once your milk is in, you should start to see s
omething, and pumping does take practice. I always pumped
better if I was distracted by something
while pumping, if I thought about it I wouldn't let down.

Now, some women do have trouble letting down, and I think
there is an oxytocin (?) nasal spray that can help with that.

If your problem is scar tissue blocking all the pores (there are
lots of them on a nipple - which actually surprised me when
I first started breastfeeding!), then I really don't know what
to say - you'll need some professional help (your plastic surgeon?).

I hope its not that. And I don't know of any support groups, but
I feel very bad for you. Do your best, and if you can't nurse,
then feed your baby how you can. That's the most important thing.

Good luck.
Mary W.