Old November 17th 07, 08:38 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default IQ and what it means in adulthood

On Nov 13, 3:23�am, Chookie wrote:

Actually, I have a problem with these definitions. �For most of the research
I've seen, gifted means either the top 10% for IQ or (more frequently) IQ130,
which is the top 5%. �THe definition of 'bright' is rather too broad here, and
I wonder how the stats would look if the authors had used a better-accepted
definition.

Small nitpick: an IQ greater than 130 puts you in the top 2 percent on
any modern test, not the top 5 percent. (Well, slightly over 2 percent
-- I forget the decimal, but definitely not more than 3 percent.)

I've seen a lot of gifted programs that started at the 90th
percentile, but most of the literature calls 90th percentile either
"bright" or "mildly gifted."

I also wonder if it's more demoralizing to be considered far less
bright than one's sibling than it is to grow up in a family where no
one stands out much. I can't help wondering if some of those less
successful kids got a lot of hassle about "Why can't you be like your
brother/sister ..."

--Helen