Old August 28th 03, 04:12 AM
Cindy Wells

Default How do you decide?

"Shirley M...have a goodaa \\;-)" wrote:

I guess I'm very sensitive to it as my SIL is so incredibly jealous of my DH
that it's ridiculous, considering that they are in their 50's and should get
beyond it - but she still is suffering from "you were smarter and I wasn't."
She has 2 Master's in totally different fields, holds a great job and is
'successful' (whatever that means). My DH did indeed get a graduate degree
but had to change careers as his went defunct with the economy. I can't
believe she still harbors that old "sibling rivalry" something my in-laws
were very good at flaming to death - the "why aren't you like your brother
routine". I do understand that it sometimes never goes away - as the
above - we only talk when necessary and it always comes out. Anyhow, I am
glad that my kids go with the flow.

Shirley

There's nothing like seeing the other mistakes to help you avoid those
(and find new ones) in parenting. All you can do is stay alert and
help your children resolve the issues in beneficial ways as they
come up (or recur).

Cindy Wells
(My mom was luckier - a lot of the sibling issues generated
by her mother's behavior ended up being things mom and her sister
discussed and resolved at summer camp (they went to the same camp
exactly once because of their age differences). Despite being in
different areas of the camp, they got together at one point and
talked things out. The discussion resulted in them both realizing
their mother made mistakes that hurt their relationship so they needed
to start over with each other.)