Old September 30th 06, 04:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default First birthday party, no gifts?

In article 1vvTg.4913$N4.2201@clgrps12, xkatx says...

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote in message
roups.com...
We've just been invited to a first birthday party in Somerville, MA,
and the parents said no gifts.

I feel silly going to a child's birthday party and not bringing a gift.
I wouldn't want them coming to my daughter's party and not bringing a
gift, even if I know it's likely to be something I don't want or need.
It's not about me, it's about the child.

What is the practice where you live?

Well, we just went through this with 3 different friends' babies and ours.
(all turned 1 between July 7 and September 12)
At a year, they have no idea what's going on. They really don't care about
presents, toys, cards, cake and people, really. First birthday is
*definitiely* (IMO) for the parents.
If the parents of the birthday baby say no gifts, then I would say respect
that. Chances are, they're not saying that to be mean or nasty to guests or
the child - they probably already have tons of toys, clothes and you name
it, and more stuff is just an added headache for them.
If you really feel the urge to bring something, bring a card, maybe. It's a
lot easier for the parents to read a card and put it in a baby box,
scrapbook or even the garbage.
One friends who's baby just turned 1 in September had everyone over for just
cake and coffee and said no presents, if you must bring something, bring a
gift card, then they could go out and get the baby something as he needs
it - be it clothes, shoes, a toy, whatever, but at this point, they just
didn't have the room for a ton of random toys and clothes - which he
currently has A LOT of!

I, personally, would go with the parents' wishes. If it was the child's
4th or 5th birthday, I'd feel strange if the parents said no gifts, but at a
year? No, I'd go with what the parents want.

Yeah, first birthday parties are really an adults' gathering. It's de riguer in
my area - I dont' remember *anything* like this growing up, though!

Since it is really an adults' party, people can get around this whole
no-presents-to-kid-birthday-party hassle by calling the party something *else*.
Just invite folks over for a party, and the close friends and family know the
baby is about to turn one.

Banty