Old January 17th 04, 08:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Failed 1 Hour Glucose Test, Onto the 3 Hour!

Karen wrote:

The midwife told me not to eat cereal and drink oj for breakfast, but to
eat eggs and drink milk. So avoid carbs and sugars, but protein will
help you metabolize the glucose better. The lab tech were a little
worked up that I had eaten, but I said I was told to eat, and to eat
specific foods and avoid others.Also getting a bit of exercise while all
that glop is in your body I think can help a lot. With my first pg, dh
and I went out and walked for the hour. Now with pg #2, I just did the
glucose test yesterday. The midwife gave me the bottle of glop in the
office, to drink before I go. The lab is near ds preschool, so I rode
him to school on my bike like I usually do, then rode the bike to the
test. Haven't had the results yet, but I'm anticipating a good outcome,
will be very surprised if the number is out of range.

Maybe you can incorporate some of these ideas for the 3 hour test?
Although that blood draw every 30 minutes sounds like a pain, it might
be hard for you to get out and walk around a bit.

They will probably try to get you not to be very
physically active during the testing period, as that lowers
glucose levels. I've heard from several different sources
that the best way to "prepare" is to have goodly amounts of
carbs in the days leading up to the test (to get your insulin
levels up) and then have very few carbs the day of the
test (so that all that insulin is ready and waiting to
handle the sugar load).

Best wishes,
Ericka