Old July 9th 03, 05:19 AM
Jeff Utz

Default Infant flat skulls can be avoided: U.S. doctors

"Elizabeth Reid" wrote in message
om...
"JG" wrote in message

et...
Another article for the "Well, DUH!" file. Amazing how some people
manage to walk without someone else (a physician?) telling them
(headphones?) how ("Left foot...right foot...left foot...right
foot...left foot...").

How many fights do you imagine this one little piece of advice--"Back to
Sleep"--has caused? Husband: "Aaah, honey? The back of Bubba's head
is gettin' as flat as a pancake. Whaddaya say we let him sleep on his
belly for a while to see if it helps?" Wife (in a high-pitched, panicky
voice): "NO! !! No, no, no, no, NO! He'll DIE of SIDS if we do that!
Dr. Imdeexpert said babies should sleep on their BACKS! So what if
Bubba looks like some sorta weird doofus; at least he's ALIVE!!")

Right. How ridiculous. I'd much rather my son live fast, die
young, and leave a beautiful corpse. A round head would look so
much nicer in the last pictures I'd ever have of him. (As it happens,
he never had any flattening problems, although he did have a bald
spot on the back of his head for a while. The horror!)

From what I've read, in the majority of cases the flattening resolves
itself over time. Even if it didn't, though, what possible implications
would this have for 'our country's future'?

We have more kids grow into adults?

Millions spent on
hat redesign, plunging us into an economic crisis?

Hat redesign? If hats were flexible enough to fit around a kid's ears if he
pulls it a little to far, I am sure they will conform to the shape of the
skull well enough.

But it does sound like a good niche market.

Increased
incidence of mosquito-borne illness because the little vampires have
a nice flat surface to fasten upon? Round-headed aliens arrive and
exterminate us all because they think we look silly? What's the
doomsday scenario here?

An imagined problem, flat back of heads.

I think there are decent reasons to ignore the recommendation, and
obviously the risk to any one child is probably low. Fear of
flat-headedness is silly though.

I think Roger should call this fear "goofy", at least when compared to real
fears, like increased risk of death.

All the best,

Jeff

Beth