Old May 19th 04, 06:39 PM
Beth Kevles

Default Help with a camp activity

Hi -

With regards to being *required* to participate ... some activities
(such as lunch) require participation. But I would hope that at most
times there is a choice of at least two different activites, maybe more,
for the kids.

For example, on a rainy day you could have a group game going in one
area and several different board games in other areas. You could also
have a craft activity going if you had table space available. This
would require ... 3-4 counselors, I think, for a group of about 25-30
kids.

Even at swimming time, kids have the choice of sitting on the deck/beach
rather than actually going in the water, don't they?

When it's not a school situation, where kids are supposed to be trying
to learn something, why force everyone in lockstep? Camp is supposed to
be more fun than school; we choose camps for our kids where they'll be
encouraged to branch out and experiment, but wouldn't dream of sending
them to a place where they'd be required to participate in every single
activity. Choice is a key part of growing up; coping with authority is
best reserved for the times when it's truly needed.

My opinion,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.