Old May 19th 04, 07:10 PM
Luna

Default Help with a camp activity

In article ,
ospam (Splanche) wrote:

I'm sure we'll have many kids who won't like to play this game, just as
we'll have many that won't want to play the other games either. Some of
the kids don't want to be at camp at all, they want to be at home, watching
tv or playing video games, and they're ticked off that their parents made
them go to camp. However, not participating is not an option, in any of
the activities we do. This goes for us, the counselors, as well. If one
of the counselors starts a sing-along, the rest of us have sing too,
whether we want to or not.

--
Michelle Levin

yes-- but isn't the point trying to find activities that will make as many as
possible happy? And what do you do with the kids who can't read? Or the ones
who get upset because they don't know the characters?
It's sounds like you're very geared to do this game, whether or not it's
appropriate, and whether or not the kids will actually like it.
Maybe you just didn't like my comment that my kid hates these types of games.

Let me assure you, from personal experience, that if you take more time
finding
out what the KIDS actually like, your own summer will be easier.
I worked at summer camps myself for years, and as a parent, we have done
Summer
camps for 5 years now, and the biggest complaints I hear are about "getting
know everyone and work together" games.
The kids tend to prefer art projects, simple tournaments (jacks, pingpong,
board games, jenga, othello, silly races like pushing pingpong balls with
your
nose, etc) and things that allow them to jump around. There are tons of web
sites you can look at.
My "entering kindergarten" son is also going to camp this summer-- and as a
parent, I would be kind of upset if he came home sad because everyone was
playing a game that he couldn't participate in because he couldn't read.

And we will have games like that too. As for kids who can't read, if they
can't read the name we can whisper it to them, if they don't know the
character then they tell the person they don't know it, and move on. Or we
can play this game with a group of the older kids and the younger kids can
do something else. By your logic we shouldn't play baseball either,
because some kids don't know how to throw or hit. Some can't run as fast
as others. We shouldn't play any games at all because some of the kids
won't be as good as the others?

--
Michelle Levin
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.