Old May 19th 04, 07:30 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Help with a camp activity

In article ,
Luna wrote:

By your logic we shouldn't play baseball either,
because some kids don't know how to throw or hit. Some can't run as fast
as others. We shouldn't play any games at all because some of the kids
won't be as good as the others?

Well, no, I wouldn't think of playing baseball with a mixed group of
6 to 12 year olds! The variation of skills levels would be unworkable,
IMO.

Perhaps I am misreading, but it sounds like there is no age-based
grouping planned for this camp at all. This is very unlike any camp I
have ever attended, worked in, or sent my children to! And every camp
I know of has also offered choices of activities, at least some of the
time. (Even most schools for elementary-aged kids offer some choices,
especially at the lower end of your age-range!)

I've been a camp counsellor and I agree that sometimes you have to just
plan an activity and expect everyone to participate. But I also think
you have to make sure that such activities are age- and skill-appropriate,
and that's *very* hard to do with such a mixed age group!

Good luck!

--Robyn