Old May 25th 10, 06:18 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,sci.med
john[_5_]

Default Callous Disregard: Autism and Vaccines: The Truth Behind a Tragedy

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...4/wellwithinA/

Editorial Reviews
Review
"I'm so glad Andy Wakefield finally has the chance to tell his story. . . .
For hundreds of thousands of parents around the world, myself included, Andy
Wakefield is a symbol of strength and conviction that all parents of
children with autism can use to fight for truth and the best lives possible
for their kids." --Jenny McCarthy, from her foreword

"Dr. Wakefield sets the record straight. It was not he who showed callous
disregard towards vulnerable, sick children with autism. It was the British
medical establishment, the General Medical Council, the media and the
pharmaceutical industry that threw the children under the bus to protect the
vaccine program. This is a book for everyone who cares about our
future." ----Mary Holland, Esq., Co-founder, Elizabeth Birt Center for
Autism Law and Advocacy

"Andrew Wakefield has been subjected to extraordinary criticism and
condemnation from professional colleagues and the wider community since he
first questioned the safety of the MMR vaccine. In this book he answers his
critics--powerfully and comprehensively---and sets the record straight. It
is essential reading for anyone wanting to know the truth behind the MMR
debate and the politics of vaccination policy." ----Dr. Richard Halvorsen,
author of "The Truth about Vaccines"

"As a mother of a boy who regressed into autism immediately following his
MMR vaccination, I welcome this book unreservedly . . . Whatever your
thoughts on the issue, if you read nothing else at all on the vaccine-autism
debate, this has to be the most crucial book you read." ----Polly Tommey,
Editor-in-Chief, "The Autism File"

"Meeting Dr. Andy Wakefield changed our lives and . . . we are forever
grateful. His wise and measured advice about vaccinations helped us dodge a
bullet . . . Our fourth son [had] multiple allergies and repeated infections
.. . . We now fully realize [he] would have been a victim of immune overload
had we followed the regular vaccine schedule. . . . [He] is [now] bright and
healthy . . . This book provides a terrifying insight into what has been
happening behind the scenes as efforts redouble to silence Dr. Wakefield . .
.. It is a wake-up call to those who think [he] is anything other than a
modern day hero fighting for all of our children." ----Robert Rodriguez and
Elizabeth Avellán, Troublemaker Studios, Austin, Texas
Product Description
Andrew Wakefield reveals the the inside story of the vaccine-autism
connection, and his controversial research. As Andrew Wakefield states in
his prologue, "If autism does not affect your family now, it will. If
something does not change-and change soon-this is almost a mathematical
certainty. This book affects you also. It is not a parochial look at a
trivial medical spat in the United Kingdom, but dispatches from the
battlefront in a major confrontation-a struggle against compromise in
medicine, corruption of science, and a real and present threat to children
in the interests of policy and profit. It is a story of how 'the system'
deals with dissent among its doctors and scientists."

In the pursuit of possible links between childhood vaccines, intestinal
inflammation, and neurologic injury in children, Wakefield lost his job in
London's Royal Free Hospital, his country of birth, his career, and his
medical license. A recent General Medical Council ruling stated that he was
"dishonest, irresponsible and showed callous disregard for the distress and
pain of children." Maligned by the medical establishment and mainstream
media, Wakefield endeavors to set the record straight in Callous Disregard.
While explaining what really happened, he calls out the organizations and
individuals that are acting not for the sake of children affected by autism,
but in their own self-interests.