Old May 15th 05, 12:20 AM
toto

On Sat, 14 May 2005 17:07:35 -0500, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

The end result was that the public transit system there was easily the
easiest I've ever dealt with, and it made it much simpler for students who
attended classes outside their area, or had specialized programs. One of the
schools I worked at had a cooperative program with a high school where some
of the students interested in teaching careers came over and helped out for
two afternoons a week (a block schedule, where the students were considered
to be in a class, plus a different start time for elementary and secondary),
and were paid via grant funds to do so. Because of the public transit
system, these high school students (who could walk from the high school)
could then take a city bus home without problems. And for me, a graduate
student, who at the time didn't have a car, the system was a complete
godsend, especially once I started doing practicums at schools around the
city.

Chicago's public transit is subsidized for students as well, but I
don't think many children ride the *el* and buses to school before
middle school and kids do take school buses - I think many kids
in urban areas are bused for safety because they would have to
cross very busy urban streets or highways to bet to their schools.

In Evanston, some kids were bused for safety across the
canal that runs on the Chicago river and some were bused
across certain streets as well.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits