Old August 4th 08, 07:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Default Torn

lu-lu wrote:

I don't know what to do. I think I just want to quit my job. That way I
won't need a childminder. DH is earning more now, so it wouldn't be too
horrific. I don't want someone else bringing up my baby...

I think you need to ask yourself a couple questions:

1) Do you want to work, or not? If you don't want to work (and
can afford not to, see question 2), then don't. If you do
want to work, then work and make the best arrangements you
can. If your daughter is in quality childcare five hours/day,
she is not being brought up by someone else. There is no
special magic to breakfast or bedtime. The magic happens
where you make it happen, and as long as you spend the time
and create the experiences, it doesn't matter if it's breakfast
or some other time of the day.

2) Can you afford not to work? That encompasses both the direct
effects (what does it do to family income right now, when you
work out what you're bringing home vs. tax impacts vs. money
for child care and other work-related expenses) and the indirect
effects (do you need to work to keep up your skills in the
marketplace? is your ability to work your "rainy day fund"?).

If you don't want to work and you don't need to work, then it doesn't
make any sense to me for you to keep working. If you want to work or
need to work, it doesn't make any sense to me for you to be guilty
over having your child in childcare 5 hours/day. I understand that
you don't *like* it, and I understand your feelings, but I don't
think there's any need to feel guilty about that amount of child
care and as long as it's quality care, I don't think it is in any
way detrimental to your child.

Best wishes,
Ericka