Old April 7th 09, 10:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Medised/Calpol Night

I don't know if this is available outside of the UK, but for those using it
in the UK, I thought this would be helpful, as I know so many people swear
by it Medised - I know I do! If other posters don't get it in their
countries, it is a paracetamol suspension with antihistamine, it's great for
kids with stuffy noses as it helps them to breathe and helps them to sleep.

On the bottle, it is is marked as 3 months plus. I know I've not had my
bottle that long, as we only discovered it recently. In fact, I've just
given Kieran some, and then I just happened to Google it. Apparently, under
new UK legislation, it is now only recommended for 2 years plus. This is the
statement from the manufacturors.

Medised is one of a number of over the counter, cough & cold medicines that
have been subject to revised advice from the Commission on Human Medicines
regarding use in children under 2 years old.

There has not been any evidence of serious safety concerns involving these
medicines in children in the UK when used correctly. And indeed, SSL
continually monitors the safety of all our medicines.

However, children under 2 are more vulnerable due to their small size, and
therefore may be particularly susceptible to the effects of overdose. This
new advice will reduce that possibility and is a precautionary measure.

In line with this new advice, we will be changing our packs within the next
six months, to advise parents that Medised is suitable for children aged 2
Years and over."

News links to the advice from the Commission on Human Medicines:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news...ld_cough_remed
ies_withdrawn_amid_overdose_fears.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7315924.stm

Calpol itself isn't in this restriction. Calpol Night has had the age
suitability changed as this and Medised both contain the
antihistamine/decongestion which helps with the snuffles and 'aids sleep'
and this is one of the ingredients listed which brings in the change.

Just thought it might be useful info

Lucy x