Old January 30th 07, 08:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Default Biparietal Diameter / 20 week scan

Actually, they sort of sound like the same response to me. I mean, your
midwife may have looked a little concerned (or suprised, since she wasn't
expecting anything to show up), but she didn't say you should go in any
sooner, or do anything differently. Sometimes things can be off, and
doctors and midwives are reluctant to tell you the worst case scenario,
because it's just too soon to tell if it's anything to worry about. It may
well not be an issue at your next u/s, in which case it would have been
foolish to get you so upset and worried over nothing.

Now I'm one that likes information, so I'd probably make another appointment
with my midwife to discuss the issue, and find out what the normal ranges
are, how far off it is, what might cause it to be off, what the chances are
that it's going to correct itself or not be a problem, and what the problems
might be, if it's hasn't corrected itself in a few weeks. Just get
information, and know that you do not have all the facts in terms of what is
going on with your particular case.

But overall, it doesn't sound like anything to be majorly alarmed about at
this point in time.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"per_sonal via FamilyKB.com" u31231@uwe wrote in message
No one at the hospital really took us through the report. We had the scan
and
she asked us to wait in the waiting area while she prepared the numbers
and
did the report.

Then she gave us the report and didnt look worried but said that she
wanted
to see us in 2-3 weeks time as the growth of the baby looked on the small
side, so they just wanted to monitor it.

But when I showed my midwife the report, she looked more concerned and
said
that hopefully the baby will catch up, but she didnt want to tell me what
the
possiblities could be (good or bad) as anything could happen.

So 2 very different expressions. Which is why it worried us even more, in
case the hospital werent telling us anything more without further
investigation.

Jamie Clark wrote:
Did they give you any indication of what this might mean? Did they tell
you
the numbers, or did you just read them from the u/s report? Did they tell
you what the normal scale was? For example, if the normal scale was 40mm,
then I wouldn't be so worried about a measurement of 39mm. But, if the
normal measurement was closer to 60-100mm or something, then that would
seem
more worrisome.

The other factor to take into consideration is how worried the doctors
seemed, and what they said. If they said it's low but not something we
should worry about, then I wouldn't worry. If they said it's low, and
we'd
like to watch it, come back in a month, then I wouldn't worry so much. If
they said it's low and we want to see you next week, and it could mean
"blah
blah blah (insert some horrible diagnosis here), then I'd be worried.
We have just had our 20 week scan and have been told the babys
Biparietal
Diameter is below the normal scale at 39mm with head circumference at

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Many thanks...