Old July 8th 03, 12:20 AM
LaVonne Carlson

Default Help, advice, Please?

Hi,

Thank you for writing, and for your honesty. Regardless of what we believe,
it's hard to parent differently than we were parented. Also, toddlerhood is
one of the most difficult times for parents---and for children.

I'm not currently parenting a toddler, but I have been there. My girls are now
20 and 24, but I remember the age well. There are some great parenting books
that recommend alternatives to spanking. "The Discipline Book" by Sears is
good, and Johnson & Johnson have a good book about toddler development and
parenting. I think it helps if one understands the meaning behind toddler
behavior, which can be trying, to say the least.

In addition to raising children, I have a doctorate in Child Development and
Early Childhood Education/Special Education. Feel free to write me personally
if you would like specific suggestions, or just to vent.

The important thing is that you do not believe in spanking your child, you feel
bad when you spank your child, and you want alternatives.

I look forward to hearing from you.

LaVonne

"C. Gregory" wrote:

hi there, new to this board.

i need help, and advice, and info please!!!

i have a son who is almost 2. i have spanked him, and hated it every time. i
do not wish to hit my child, in fact untill just recently (a couple of
months ago) i never thought i would i was as anti spanking as you can get
( i dont think its right, i just dont). the problem is that i just dont know
what else to do. its what i grew up with, and what i knew, and i'm at my
whits end!!! any non spanking parents of toddlers, PLEASE give me some
advice.

thank you