Old October 26th 05, 05:00 PM
Sue

Default Pacifier Use

wrote in message ...
Shamelessly lifted from the Midwifery Today newsletter:

A Finnish study of 484 babies aged 7 to 18 months revealed a correlation

between pacifier use and increased risk of ear infection (acute otitis
media). The children were assigned to one of two groups: one group's
pacifier use was restricted by 21 percent for several months; the other
group's pacifier use was not restricted. The incidence of ear infection
among the restricted group was reduced by 29 percent. Researchers recommend
that pacifiers should only be used just before sleep and then discontinued
com
pletely after 10 months of age.

Didn't hold true for us. DD1 and DD2 didn't start using a pacifer until they
were over 2 yrs old and DD3 never even used one. No recurrent ear infections
for us. However, this is just one anecdote. I would be interested in the
study itself and how it was done, etc.... since I am very suspicious of
studies and how they are done to achieve their desired information.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)