Old April 16th 08, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Default Rh Neg Question

lu-lu wrote:
Hiya

I was just wondering if I need the Rh neg jab (sorry I forgot it's name)
this time. I'm A Rh Neg and Jessica was born O Rh neg, so I'm guessing that
makes DH Rh Neg too? If so, does that mean I can skip those horribly nasty
jabs this time?

Unless you know his blood type for sure, there is no
guarantee that he's Rh-. He could be Rh+ and still produce
an Rh- child. There are some who would debate the necessity
of the 28 week anti-D shot if you don't have any risk factors.
It definitely provides an additional measure of safety, but
the risk of sensitization without the prenatal shot (but *with*
the postnatal shot) is still very low. So, if you wanted to
gamble a little you could skip it until after the birth and
have the baby tested and only get the shot if the baby was Rh+.
Or, you could have DH get his blood typed. If he is Rh- there'd
be no need for the shot.

Best wishes,
Ericka