Old August 9th 03, 12:44 AM
Michelle J. Haines

Default Prevnar, and intro

In article , roobaby8
@hotmail.com says...

I've been lurking here since my second daughter was born 5 weeks ago. We
just had our one month appointment and our doctor gave us a pamphlet on
Prevnar, and said that we should get it done for both our girls (oldest is
2.5). I'd like to make an informed decision before blindly agreeing. I'm
just wondering what others opinions are.

Our second child died of pneumococcal meningitis about a year before
Prevnar was released. Our opinion is, "Get it, absolutely, no
question."

However, at 2.5, your daughter should instead get Pneumovax, which is
an older vaccine that covers 26 strains of pneumococcus instead of
Prevnar's seven. The reason for Prevnar is that Pneumovax did not
work on children under the age of two.

FWIW, we get our children vaccinated with Prevnar as infants, and
then again with Pneumovax when they're three, to be safe. But we
have significant reason to be paranoid about pneumococcus.

Also, FWIW, there have been no reported serious side effects with
Prevnar to date that I know of.

Michelle
Flutist
--