Old August 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

Default another thing - white milky discharge and anal rash?

Anne Rogers wrote:
oh, could be from the vagina, which would be normal at 1 week but now
I'd think thrush? Only my midwife looked at her mouth last week and
said she had no signs of it then...

oh you answered yourself, Ada had exactly the discharge you describe for
several weeks as a newborn, I think up to about 12 weeks is normal, it's
hormonal in cause, so it's got the same time frame as baby acne. Very much
doubt that she'd have vaginal thrush, if she did, the discharge would be
much thicker and probably yellower rather than milky.

I agree with Anne that the discharge is likely normal. The
rash could very well be a yeast rash, a little topical yeast
cream (miconizol (sp?)) 3 -4 times a day would help that.
If it is yeast, it should clear up pretty quick with the yeast
cream (I would put a layer of the miconizol on then some
desitin. For a stubborn diaper rash, I used the regular
desitin, not the creamy. It seemed to work better). Also,
for redness, you can put on a little over-the-counter
hydrocortisone cream.

Making sure you change diapers quickly, and air drying
also help keep a rash at bay.

Mary W.