Old September 4th 06, 05:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Is letting a baby sleep on your chest a big no-no?

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen elsewhere people comment that they're 'bad parents' for
letting their baby sleep on their chest (I have asked there as well).
Is this like sleeping on the stomach and another SIDS risk?

DD *always* naps on my chest during the day. It's the only way to
assure a nap that's greater than 30 minutes!

DS slept on my chest and he's alive and kicking 5 and a half years later.
I had actually asked my mom at the time about this, as everyone rants and
raves about SIDS and stomach sleeping for infants.
The major concern that would be with having a baby sleep on you is you
rolling or something, having the baby fall off of you or the bed, something
like that. If, though, you're not in a deep sleep - awake or just resting,
there's not so much of a problem, IME. Stomach sleeping is a problem if the
baby stops breating or something - this should be something you should be
able to notice ASAP if DD is right on you, as opposed to being in a crib,
basinette or something similar.
If she sleeps better while sleeping on you, and you don't mind, just keep an
eye and ear out. The only thing I didn't care much for when I had DS sleep
on me was that it came to a point where he would NOT sleep on his own -
co-sleeping was not the thing for me or what I had ultimately wanted.
I don't have any stats or proof one way or the other, so I really can't
answer your question based on anything but my own experience.