Old February 15th 08, 01:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Default Milk with breast milk?

Hi --

The reasons to drink cow's milk have to do with calcium, protein and
fluid. Breastmilk contains all these, so the real question is, is your
daughter eating a varied and healthy diet that includes those things?
If she is, then it doesn't matter how much breastmilk she's getting. If
she's not, then you need to move her towards a varied and healthy diet.
At this age, breastmilk isn't the mainstay of her diet, just a small
nutritional component. (There are reasons other than mere nutrition to
nurse, but your daughter is clearly nursing enough for those other
needs.)

The main reason to introduce cow's milk at your daughter's age is to get
her used to the flavor. My older son had trouble digesting it until he
was 7 or 8, and to this day, although he happily consumes many milk
products, he refuses to drink cow's milk. Not even flavored with
chocolate!

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.