Old October 16th 03, 01:22 AM
H Schinske

Default intro and question attachment parenting

wrote:

An alert baby who wants to look around a lot may be happier in a
Snugli facing out than in a sling. The Snugli is certainly better
engineered for weight distribution (you can wear it more comfortably
with a heavier baby).

I don't get this. You can carry a three-year-old in a sling on your hip, if the
child will cooperate (I have seen some kids who still liked it). No way could
you do that with a Snugli. (Incidentally, I'm assuming you're using Snugli as a
general term for front pack. Baby Bjorn is a lot better brand from what I have
heard, easier on the back and usable to a larger weight.)

There are plenty of ways to face the baby outwards in a sling, too.

I found that there was a period when it was hard to use a sling because the
baby was too heavy or wiggly or something for the front carries, and not stable
enough or tall enough or something to be carried on a hip. Around eight months
I could use a sling again, with the baby on my hip. This may well vary by sling
and the expertise of the sling-er.

--Helen