Old August 18th 03, 06:03 PM
Sue theo b

Default EMERGENCY baby now losing weight

Slow Down. If I understand correctly, you are (actually you are being made to
worry) about a 2 oz loss in the midst of Britian's worst recorded heat wave
ever. He's just about 12 weeks or three months old. He's due for a growth spurt
within a week or so. Shame on your HV for freaking you out. How many nappys a
day is he producing? 5 or more plus one or more poopy? Then he is probably ok.
To be sure he is doing well, take him and yourself to bed for a day. Turn on
old movie or bad tv and just let him nurse all day, skin to skin that should
pump up your production. Also, offer every hour or more. Plus make sure every
time you nurse him, have a big glass of cold water. Good Luck, Sue

After not being weighed for a few weeks last Monday my baby weighed 8lb
13.5oz aged 10 weeks 5 days. Today aged 11 weeks 5 days he was reweighed
on the same scales he weighed 8lb 11.5 oz, a weight loss of 2oz in a week.

This week I have been eating well (oat meal for breakfast) and feeding him
as much as possible, usually every 2 hours, at least every 3 hours,
except for one longer sleep of 4-7 hours. My latch has been checked and
everything seems fine. He was checked by a ped last week after we found
blood in his nappy, she seemed to think it was from his foreskin.

The health visitor is now very concerned, I have until Thursday for him to
start gaining weight before she recommends we give him 1 bottle of formula
per day, I do not want to do this, but equally I do not want to harm his
long term development.

He seems to be a happy sociable baby, some fussiness when he is hungry,
needs a nappy change, or gets over stimulated, he doesn't sleep that much,
probably around 12 hours per day. He sleeps in his own room.

I feel terrible about this, I am desperate to breastfeed him exclusively
for 6 months I firmly believe breast is best and feel a failure as a
mother that I do not seem to be giving him enough for him to grow.

Anne Rogers

Tupperware without the party???
Shop online at my website.
http://my.tupperware.com/SueBurton