Old September 24th 08, 10:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default OPC... Other People's Children

"toto" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:56:30 +1000, Chookie
wrote:

Please excuse me while I go and bang my head on a wall a few times. I
don't
know how the teacher copes, I really don't!

/rant

Whatever happened to private music lessons. I was always the only one
in my class. Or is this in school?

There are several good group keyboard curricula, and if they're well done,
can be more effective for the first couple of years of piano study than
individual lessons. It's also more cost-effective for parents. At any level
of piano, having a group component in addition to private lessons can be
beneficial. Pianists often are piaced in a role where they're either
soloists or accompanists, and there really isn't a natural equivalent of
orchestra or band that is available to most piano students (even if a school
has a jazz band, it needs one keyboard/piano player to about 20 other
musicians).

Having said that, my guess is that this 10 yr old really doesn't want to be
there. She's old enough that she might be acting this way in part because of
the age of her classmates-even a 1 year age range seems like a lot at this
point, and usually stays that way until adulthood, so private lessons or
school-based classes often work better, and it may simply be that she
doesn't want to play piano, but mom thinks it's a good idea.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits