Old March 30th 06, 08:56 PM posted to misc.kids

Default more birthday ettiquete questions

"Welches" wrote in message

Could you ask the teachers what they usually do?
I'm assuming that the logs are separate for each child and you wouldn't
just be leaving a pile for them to look through? I think it sounds fine.
If they're in plain envelopes then the children probably won't realise
that they're invitations so the children won't feel left out.
I don't really see that parents could feel that it was rude. I'm sure
there are times when there are letters for one proportion of the
pre-school and not for the other, and would they feel insulted if they
didn't get an admin letter that was irrelevent to them? If you just clip
them there then they won't know who it's from unless they get one, so they
can't feel hard done by really.
Debbie

Yes, but it's a rather new school and DS has only been invited to one
birthday in the year he's been there. (It's been open just as long.) The
child in that case handed DS the invitation in the classroom and DS nearly
didn't give it to me. I would assume parents would know what they are by
the shape of the envelope and the fact that the handwriting of each child's
name will be in child scrawl. Most notices are sheets of paper or envelopes
with adult handwriting of the name of the parent. They won't be in a pile,
but as we flip through each page to get to our child's we see the notices
attached to the sheets. Most birthdays there seem to be celebrated by
bringing birthday cakes to the classroom, but we'd like to invite the kids
over so we can meet the parents.

Personally, I would not be offended if my child were not invited to a
birthday party that did not include the entire class, but some people you
never know. I'd hate to be commiting a major faux pas.