Old October 10th 05, 11:35 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default playdates for 4yo

toypup wrote:
Until now, I've had playdates arranged with friends who have children or
people I meet in playgroups. Basically, I know the parents first. Now, DS
is in preschool and he has this best friend who I'd like to have over for a
playdate. I see his dad in passing but we don't make much conversation as
one of us is either coming or going. I did mention to him that we'd love to
have his DS come over for a playdate one of these days. I wonder if most
parents of 4 yo these days drop off their kids on playdates when they don't
really know the other family? I guess I could invite the dad (I never see
the mom), but I really want it to just be a playdate. That's all I have
energy for ATM, lol.

I would not expect the parent of a 4yo to be willing
to drop him off at a stranger's house and leave. Many would
do it (and I'm not saying it's necessarily unreasonable of
them to do so), but I would not expect them to. So, I wouldn't
extend the invitation if I wasn't willing to accommodate the
parent if he wanted to stick around. I think it would put
the other parent in a very awkward position.

Best wishes,
Ericka