Old December 23rd 03, 02:36 AM
Bob Whiteside

Default Choices, choices, choices -- but only for women

"Carry On" wrote in message
On 22 Dec 2003 17:54:33 GMT, (Kathi Kelly) wrote:

"Kenneth S." writes:
In the interests of clarity, I should point out that this is not
RU-486. It is a product known as an "emergency contraceptive," and is
-- on my understanding -- a pepped-up dose of the ingredients of the
birth control pill. It is not an abortion-inducing product.

Oops, my mistake. Apologies.

You were not mistaken. It is an early pregnancy abortion-inducing
agent. All of the articles I've seen refer to it in exactly that
manner and I have seen nothing that suggests its a contraceptive of
any kind since its intended use is for _after_ contraception has taken
place, not prior to or to prevent fertilization of an egg.

While RU 486 is comprised of female hormones that has no bearing on
its function or intended use. The intent of taking the RU 486 pill is
to abort a fertilized embryo prior to its implantation in the uterus.

No one here disputes RU-486 (Mifepristone) creates non-surgical abortions.
It is a drug that is taken after a pregnancy has occured to cause the woman
to abort the fetus.

This discussion has been about Plan B (Levonorgestrel) which is an emergency
contraceptive to be taken after unprotected sex to prevent a pregnancy from
occuring and it works much like some birth control pills.

While both are commonly referred to as morning after pills, they are not the
same. Plan B must be taken within the first 72 hours after unprotected sex
to have a chance to be successful. Because it creates a hostile environment
in a woman's uterus the woman will either lose the fertilized egg or have a
tubal pregnancy. If Plan B does not work, then a woman who doesn't want to
be pregnant can use RU-486.