View Single Post
Old October 27th 10, 11:26 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med
dr_jeff
external usenet poster

Default Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science

On 10/27/10 6:04 AM, carole wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 10/25/10 7:58 AM, carole wrote:
"Steven wrote in message ...
On 10/22/2010 1:30 AM, carole wrote:

Depends on whether you're talking about medical intervention for emergencies or long-term treatment of chronic disease.
Conventional medicine is good for the former but alternative good for the latter.

Assuming this dichotomy exists, why do you think it exists? What examples would you give?

Steve

Obviously Steve, success stories abound about people who get treated by paramedics, at hospital outpatient clinics, bones get
set,
cuts stitched up, and various operations and interventions to save lives. However, when it comes to treatment of chronic disease
such as cancer, ms, asthma, rheumatic, arthritic and so on, not so good.

If you consider that most people with cancer are cured, then it is pretty good. Not as good people would like, but better than
anything else.

Allopathic medicine has its limitations. I was facing a tonsilectomy myself at one stage but decided instead to see a
chiropractor
which fixed the problem.

No. Chiropractic can't "fix" tonsillitis. You got better on your own.

Haha ...you can't admit it or handle it.

I used to be asthmatic and had allergies to housedust - all fixed after a few years on cellsalts.

In other words, you got better on your own.

You're a real dufus.

Medicine is a racket. In my opinion there is a conspiracy to keep cheap and simple cures from the people in favour of lifelong
dependence on pharmaceutical drugs.

That's your opinion. Back it up with facts.

Get over yourself.

There are many examples of cures to diseases being suppressed, although none of the skeptics in this ng would agree.

Please, share some of those cures that are being suppressed. Please provide evidence both that the cures work (good evidence, not
just anecdotes). And, evidence that the cures are being suppressed.

There was a website called http://www.cancer-tutor.org with all sorts of cancer cures, but it has been suppressed.

How has it been suppressed? Try www.cancertutor.org (no dash).

They all seem
to follow along with the establishment mantra about alternative medicine being useless while allopathic can do no wrong.

I don't recall anyone saying allopathic medicine can do no wrong. All things have risks, allopathic medicine included.

You make all sorts of allowances for scientific medicine - the massive amounts spent on research, the minimal returns, the
pharmaceutical "me too" drugs that don't do anything more than the cheaper ones, the scientific studies that are mostly flawed, and
the vaccinations that probably cause autism in 1/100 kids.

The vaccinations do not cause autism. This conjecture has been tested in
many studies and has been supported. There is no good evidence that
autism is caused by vaccines at all.

Yet OTOH you bag alternative medicine relentlessly and call it rot, rubbish and crap because there are no scientific studies.

That, and that there is no scientific basis to beleive that the
alternative medicine work and plenty of scientific basis to believe that
they don't work, like the over $1 billion wasted at NCCAM that found
that not one alternative therapy tested worked. Not one.

Of course, con-med (aka conjecture-based medicine or alternative medicine) is, by definition, unproven.

So is 90% of science based medicine with its flawed studies.

Wrong. The flawed studies are ignored or proven to have unreliable
results. You are very misleading when you say that 90% of medicine is
wrong to the point of lying.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-science/8269/
Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science
"Much of what medical researchers conclude in their studies is misleading, exaggerated, or flat-out wrong. So why are doctors-to a
striking extent-still drawing upon misinformation in their everyday practice? Dr. John Ioannidis has spent his career challenging
his peers by exposing their bad science."

And the bad science is ignored. Many of the studies are pilot studies
that have too few subjects to be useful. Others have other flaws. The
difference between science and alternative medicine is that the flawed
studies get routed out or ignored, while alternative medicine keeps
using the flawed studies because either they don't know better or are
more interested in selling their snake oil medicine rather than helping
people.

Jeff