Old August 19th 03, 08:28 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Kindergarten - my child "going postal" every morning...

In article ,
Noreen Cooper wrote:
Kimberly wrote:

: Need any and all advice! My 5 year old boy just started
: kindergarten last Tuesday. My problem is every morning when I drop
: him off at his classroom, he goes into a horrible fit mode, he's even
: ripped my shirt on one occasion.

If your child has not shown this degree of separation anxiety before, I'd
make sure you volunteer to help out in the classroom ASAP. If for some
reason you are unable to volunteer during kindergarten hours, seek out
another parent who volunteers quite regularly in the classroom and ask
what they perceive to be the problem.

What I have found in my travels as a frequent school volunteer is that
teachers are not perfect and fall prey to the same personality conflicts
we as adults have with other people.

While this is good advice, I'd caution the OP not to jump to the
conclusion that something must be terribly "wrong" in the school
situation to cause this reaction in her child. I had one who resisted
going to school for several years (sometimes very stronly), even though
by all accounts (including my personal observation of the classroom)
everything was fine and he loved it there. In his case it seemed to be
some combination of not wanting to have to move through the morning
routine in a timely manner (he was a definite dawdler) and resistance
to transitions (such as being dropped off at school). This happened
in multiple classes and none of the teachers could understand it. He
always had a great time once I'd been gone for 5 minutes.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)