Old February 25th 05, 10:13 PM
Larry McMahan

Ericka Kammerer writes:
: Lucy wrote:
: "Larry McMahan" wrote in message
: ...
:
:Hrumph! I wonder what kind of vaginal deliveries they compared
:them to. I would expect that if they compared them to
:unmedicated natural delivers without induction, augmentation,
:or pain management, the the LOWEST PPD rate would be in the
:unmedicated group!
:
:
: Why is that?

: By and large women who plan for and get unmedicated
: births generally report themselves to be more satisfied with
: their births and report that they felt most in control of
: their births.

: Best wishes,
: Ericka

What she said! This is probably the most important factor,
but I think there are others also.

Women who wind up with with excessive interventions (including
c-section) often feel that they have been railroaded by overly
aggressive caregivers who have not consulted them on their
options. This exacerbates any feeling of regret or inadequacy
they may have.

Also, the pain caused by augmentation drugs or the out-of-it
feeling eminating from narcotic pain relief make them feel that
they were "out of it" and not there for one of the most important
moments of their life. This also exacerbates feelings of regret
and inadequacy.

Larry