Old June 21st 07, 03:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

Default No Wrap Shower

"beyond the pale" wrote in message

"Welches" wrote
Another interesting point that dh pointed out was that for #1 most of the
presents were clothes. And of those most were size 3-6 months (we got so
much in that size I ended up exchanging a lot for bigger sizes and still
had too much in that size. #2 we got more toys than clothes, and the
clothes were a fair mixture of sizes. With #3 we've got nearly all 0-3
months, with a few newborn, and two teddies for the toy department!
Debbie

With #1 I got quite a bit of religious oriented things- Christening
dresses, christening bibs, etc. I didn't really appreciate that because we
are not of a religion that christens babies and I think it's very
presumptuous for people to gift gifts with *their own* religion's themes.
Not being ungrateful, but it's just not appropriate. I've noticed that
people do it obliviously, like they don't understand why someone of a
different religion would not use the item. Feh. One of my mom's friends
gave us religious items and this was most offensive because she knows very
well what religion we are in this house- actually DH is a different
religion from me, but *neither* of us christen.

I would find that strange to give Christening gowns. I mean that, for me, if
you choose to have them baptised, then you'll probably want to choose the
gown yourself. A lot of people here have heirloom ones and wouldn't want
one. And some people want the long flowing ones, and others wouldn't touch
them. For me, I wanted to make one and really wouldn't have appreciated
being given one.
And also it's a one present ie getting 2 means one won't be used. I always
try to get something that either can be easily changed without a receipt, or
would be useful even if it's not the receiver's taste.
Another thing that happened with #1 was that I received about 5 of those
handkerchief keepsakes- they are a little baby bonnet and you can rip the
seam and turn it into a handkerchief, so your daughter wears it on her
head and then carries it on her wedding day. Feh again..I don't know why
people think this is such a grand gift idea, and none of them left a
receipt and they were all different so there was no way I could return
them. I noticed that now, they are making the box read as if they are for
boy babies too- give the bonnet to the boy and when he marries, let his
bride carry it. I suppose the same people will think it's grand to give
more of those to us, too. I know this does sound horrible of me. I can't
sell them, I don't do Ebay, I can't find anyone else who wants them, so I
stashed them in a closet and honestly am not even sure where they are.

What a strange idea. Never seen that. It would almost be worth getting one
for #3 to see dh's disgusted face. He wouldn't like that!

The religious toned gifts are truly unnecessary though. I have seen people
give Baptist themed (or something similar) to Muslim parents-to-be, oy. I
guess it's because I live in the Bible belt but it's really....ugh..

I'd only give "religious toned gifts" for a baptism gift. Even then my
prefered present is a lift the flap bible when #1 and #2 both enjoyed-it has
about 10 flaps a page and kept them happy for hours.
Debbie