Old July 12th 03, 11:12 AM
Clisby Williams

Default "Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

Banty wrote:

In article ,
says...

For me ff was simpler because bf was:
1) Sit down
2) Plop out breast(s)?
3) switch breast
4) switch breast
5) switch breast
etc. alot for hours on end. Both my babies wanted to constantly for
hours on end be on the nipple because of supply issues. I gave up on
bf with my first and persevered with the help of domperidone with my
second.

while ff was:

1) pour water in bottle
2) put formula in bottle
3) shake
4) feed baby for max 15 min

Which required no refrigeration, microwave, pitcher, or measuring
cups. It did require a store :-)

Yep.

I did both, and I think the perception varies on what the mother does and
considers relaxing. Also the milk supply and let down.

If it's feet up watching TV or sitting outside taking in the air and scenery and
yammering on the phone to friends that mom loves, sitting and switching breasts
is just the ticket.

If more active pursuits are what's satisfying and relaxing to mom, sitting and
switching breasts for 1/2 hour or so can be really reaaally sloooooow. And
what's hard is what *else* has to be done with the time left over after
siiiiittting and leetting dooown and relllaaaaxxxing for a loooooong time. (And
no - don't say "oh -doncha know you can let the housework go" - I got REAL TIRED
OF the clutter and feeling allergic to boot in a dirty, cat-hair filled house.)

I did nurse, but my experience of it was more like that latter. My temprament
isn't one to sit day in day out and look at baby and TV and trees and grass
hours and yammer with whoever's hanging out hours in hours out day in day out.
And I'm too heavy breasted to set up, hold baby in one arm, hold a paperback in
the other.

Banty

Yep. And some of us don't get the side benefit of that supposed flow of
relaxing hormones during
nursing. I've nursed my son for 17 months, and the only hormonal side
effects I've felt have
been unpleasant (uterine contractions, and letdown.) Even once the
bad part was past, I've
seldom nursed him without thinking, "OK, honey, aren't you about through
now?"

Clisby