Old January 27th 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Nikki

Default Problem bottle feeding one of the twins

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

We have twins who are 3 months old (1.5 months corrected) that my wife
is currently breastfeeding. Occasionally I bottlefeed one of them to
give her a break but our problem is with the other one (Hannah) who
has problems with the bottle.

Hannah will start to take the bottle fine but after several minutes
she will try and spit the nipple out, start crying, arching,
stretching and looks to be in a lot of pain.

How many ounces is she taking? She just sounds full to me. Be sure she
burps frequently.

Is this one bottle a day or more? If it is just one bottle a day or less I
wouldn't worry about how much she takes. She is gaining fine so is getting
plenty with the nursing. Even if that one bottle feed is small, she'll make
up for it at the breast.

If this is multiple bottles a day then I'd consult the ped. I don't know a
thing about reflux but if she is sucking for several minutes before she
starts fussing it makes me think that she is either full or miserable. IME
nipple preference issues caused problems at the very beginning of a feed,
not several minutes later.

Congratulations to you and your wife. Assure her that it will get easier!
You can help out in many ways besides giving a bottle. I found it extremely
helpful for someone to take the babies right before and after a feed - to
change and comfort them. We did do bottles too. I needed to top off a
bit in the beginning and then we kept up the one bottle a day to keep them
in practice for when I returned to work. The bottles were a pain IMO, and
other kinds of help benefited me more. Everyone is different though! Hang
in there - it is going to get really fun really soon when their
personalities and interactions begin

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99