Old October 27th 03, 05:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Banty wrote:

But I'm not saying finding friends from your classroom mostly is bad or
anything. But would it have been apparent to you if there was an expectation
not be have much to do with kids from ordinary classes in your case?

I wouldn't want to stake my life on it, and of course
the old memory could be failing after 25 years ;-) But my
recollection is that there wasn't any of that. While most
of my friends came from my classes (because I spent the most
time with them) I did know others who had friends from
other classes, whether they were neighborhood friends or
friends from electives, and that didn't seem to be a problem.
Band and drama were common places where kids from both
programs interacted, and there were some friendships formed
there for kids who were heavily into music or theater.
Maybe I was just clueless, but I really didn't notice any
of the animosity you described in your situation. There
was certainly a sense of intellectual superiority in
a few kids, but I didn't notice it to be any different
from the same sense in similar mainstreamed kids ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka