Old November 9th 05, 05:40 PM
Barbara

Default Homework for a 5 year old - how much involvement needed.

Banty wrote:
In article .com, Barbara
says...

SNIP
I think homework for 5 yos is awful. So I'm not much help.

Yeah - I think she should involve herself right to the school board.

Banty

A lot of 5 year olds are in first grade (school districts like NYC with
a 12/31 cut-off; do any school districts still have a 1/31 cut-off?).

No I'm referring to homework being given at such a young age.

I admit I was being flippant..

Banty

I knew that!

It's just that when people refer to 5 year-olds, I think most people
think kindergarten. But in school districts with later cut-off dates,
that's not the case. NYC still has a 12/31 cut-off, so there's a lot
of 5 year olds in first grade. When I was a kid in Philly, the cut-off
was 1/31, so first grade was 1/2 over before I turned 6. While I don't
advocate a lot of homework for first graders, I don't find it
unreasonable, either.

Barbara