Old September 22nd 04, 10:15 PM
Jenrose

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
Just a kid I know, Just curious. How would you guys handle a 2 and a half
year old child (boy) who kicks? Like, he will just walk up and haul off
and
kick someone, and his parents do not say or do anything to him? He kicked
one of his grandparents, who promptly spanked him, and it made the parents
angry at the grandparent.

I don't believe it is ok for someone to spank another person's child if
the
parent does not want them to. I am not a big believer in spanking but I do
think I would spank R. for something major and intentional, and where
safety
is concern such as if she runs to the street when told not to etc. Of
course, I will watch her and not let her run around unsupervised anyway.
But
when she is older I won't be able to watch her 24/7.

But I am telling you, if this kid had kicked *me* (it's a relative), I
think
I would have spanked him too. He is out of control.

My daughter went through a major kicking phase... luckily eyeroll she only
really kicked me... the grocery store was the worst--I usually just turned
the cart around and pushed it backwards.

What finally ended it was not spanking (which we tried) or time out for her
(which we tried) or restraining her (which we tried), but the fact that
every time she kicked me, I removed myself from her presence. To the point
of locking myself in a bathroom or bedroom.

When she finally "got" that kicking made mommy leave and that if she didn't
kick mommy, she could be with mommy, it all came together.

Jenrose