Old October 26th 03, 07:48 PM
Clisby

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Banty wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I have mixed feelings about tracking.

I had the experience of moving from one state to another, but actually
having
must of my cohort move with me. When I ws in junior high, my father's
SAC
squadron was transferred from Texas to New Hampshire, and many of the
kids I
knew transferred into the Portsmouth, NH school district with me.

Texas didnt' track, New Hampshire did; we were all tested, and I was
put on the
math/science accelerated track. The social pressure was definitely on
to not
socialize with kids on lower tracks. Local kids hadn't socialized
with them for
some time, but for the Air Force kids it came as something of a shock.

Hmm...I can certainly see this as an issue, but I have
to ask how many elementary school kids socialize much outside
their classroom anyway? After a few years, obviously you have
friends in other classes in the same grade, but in my experience
it seems like socialization follows along classroom lines
regardless of the program kids are or aren't in.

Is it that uncommon these days for kids to go to neighborhood schools?
I would have thought socializing would precede school attendance.

Yesterday, I took my two children to our annual neighborhood Halloween
party and parade. My 7-year-old socalized with kids from her school (a
small private one), from the nearby charter school; from the regular
neigborhood public school; from one of the Catholic schools; and from
one other Atlanta private school. These kids know each other because
the live around here, not just because they attend school together.

Clisby

Clisby