Old November 3rd 03, 10:36 PM
LaVonne Carlson

Default So much for the claims about Sweden

Greg apparently didn't read the information Kane provided. What a
surprise.

It's scary, isn't it Greg, to read evidence that conflicts with your
opinoin? Better to hide behind smoke screens, I suppose. It's certainly
safer.

LaVonne

Greg Hanson wrote:

Kane's recent message seeks to disprove a claim,
but who made the claim and where?

Where was the claim that Sweden's child abuse
rate went up due to the no-spanking law made?
Did Kane disprove something nobody on here said?

What HAS been said about Sweden?
SWEDISH LAW AGAINST SPANKING IS UNENFORCED!
It may be illegal, but not ENFORCED, and so it continues.
The no-spanking law in Sweden was a giant placebo.
All REPORTS of attributable RESULTS are bogus!

Below are Kane's own messages pointing to this.

From: Kane )
Subject: Murder Swedish style & crime higher than you think
Newsgroups: alt.parenting.spanking Date: 2003-09-13 11:18:09 PST

snip

In other words, there is a high likelihood there is some other factor
than spanking or not ( in fact I think it was YOU folks from the
pro-spank nitwit crowd that claimed Swedish citizens are spanking
their children despite the law ) that is causing a reporting of a
higher crime rate.

snip

bingo bango bongo.

Stoneman

From: Kane )
Subject: Greg overdoses on Stupid Pills
was....Murder Swedish style & crime higher than you think
Newsgroups: alt.parenting.spanking,
alt.support.child-protective-services,
alt.support.foster-parents, misc.kids
Date: 2003-09-15 18:33:13 PST
Greg wote
Fern: I think this is just the tip of the iceberg (accidental pun)
when it comes to wonderful non spanking Scandinavia.

Well now, that is not quite accurate. One of the things Doan crowed
over, and I'm sure made The Plant giggle, was that parents in
Scandinavia do not have to be afraid of inforcement...the law is
writen without that feature, and they still, and this made Doan howl
with glee, spank there children rather a lot.

snip insults

"our laid-back, neutral, furniture-loving neighbour, where
slapping a child is a criminal offence"

Is it? I'm not sure. I haven't read the law. In most places it's a
civil matter under no cp laws. In Sweden, as I've noted, it is NO
crime or offense at all. The law is a plea to stop the abuse of
spanking.

snip insults and swearing

http://cphpost.sites.itera.dk/default.asp?id=34392
Murder-Swedish style Copenhagen Post(Denmark)14 September 2003
New Interpol international crime statistics revealed, rather
surprisingly, that Sweden, our laid-back, neutral, furniture-loving
neighbour, where slapping a child is a criminal offence, tops the
European crime league in murder, serious assaults and robberies, and
even surpasses the USA in violent crime. The murder rate in Sweden is
three times as high as Denmark, four times as high as Norway, and
twice as high as in the USA. In addition, Sweden has twice as many sex
crimes and robberies as this country and 25 times as many violent
assaults. A Swedish National Crime Agency criminologist dismissed the
Interpol figures as 'exaggerated.' 'They claim that there were 900
murders here in 2001, but that also included suicides which have
somehow ended up in the murder column. To say we have a higher murder
rate than the USA is ridiculous,' he said.