Old April 7th 04, 06:46 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default Birth control question

In ,
LeAnn wrote:

*I've just given birth a little more than 2 weeks ago and now I'm
*starting to think about birth control options. I have been on the
*pill and depo in the past and didn't do so good on it. I had anger
*and anxiety problems while on them. So I'm looking for an alternative
*but as silly as it sounds I don't want something that prevents a
*fertilized egg from being implanted, I would prefer something that
*halts ovulation. Am I asking too much? Does something exsist?

Well, to halt ovulation, you use hormonal birth control methods like the
pill and depo, which you say you don't like. And while they do halt
ovulation, it's also the case that IF you ovulate (which would of course
be a rare event), they will (hopefully) prevent fertilization. Then, IF
that fails too, it should prevent implantation of the conceptus. Now, I
think IUDs mainly work by having a negative effect on sperm, and
preventing fertilization - but they may possibly have an anti-implantation
effect, unless i'm sorely mistaken (someone say if I am, ok?). The bottom
line though is that anything that halts ovulation is going to be hormonal.
Ovulation is hormone-driven.

How about a barrier method? It won't halt ovulation, but it won't affect
implantation either. Diaphragm, condom, that kind of thing...