Old March 11th 07, 11:15 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Penny Gaines

Default almost 3YO girl insisting that she is a boy

andrea baker wrote:
Hi folks,

Hypatia is almost 3 (can you believe that???) Anyway, for about the
past 3 months, she has repeatedly insisted that she is a boy. She
will, at times, get angry when I say things like "what a nice little
girl you are" and will say, loudly, "no, I'm a boy!"

Anyone think this is something to be concerned about?

I initially thought this was just a terrible twos sort of thing, but
she also is often getting really angry when I try to put her in a
dress (though very rarely she will be happy to put one on).

[snip]

I was wondering how Hypatia was - I'm sure it was only a week ago you
were discussing names.

It sounds perfectly normal to me: at this age, they don't really know
why boys are boys and girls are girls.

I don't think the dress thing is related: all three of my kids had
strong ideas about what they wanted to wear at this sort of age.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three